Thursday, August 7, 2008

Assume the Position



In an effort to convey my situation to all of you in one swoop, I thought I would post some information.
I had a routine urinalysis in April 2008 at the Veteran's Administration during an annual physical. That test came back atypical and my primary doctor ordered a FISH test; a test that detects cancerous cells in the urine. The results of that test were positive for bladder cancer so I was referred to a Urologist within the VA system. The Urologist performed a cystoscopy which visually confirmed the test results. On June 10, 2008 I had a procedure called a TURBT which was performed in an out-patient setting under general anesthesia. The TURBT allowed the doctor to view and remove biopsies from inside the bladder.
The results of the biopsies indicated the following:
"High grade urothelial dysplasia, non invasive and high grade urothelial carcinoma with lamina propria invasion, no muscularis propria invasion identified".
The Stage and Grade of the cancer are important factors contributing to the prognosis. The stage refers to how far a cancer has progressed and the grade refers to the aggressiveness of the cancer. My cancer is high grade (G3) and the stage is non-invasive (T1). This means the cancer is very aggressive and has not yet penetrated the muscle. Once the cancer invades the muscle the prognosis worsens and can more easily metastasize, which would change the whole situation; from prognosis to treatment. The one other factor is the dysplasia or Carcinoma in Situ (CIS). This cancer is very aggressive and unpredictable. Unfortunately pathology reports are subjective and limited to the actual biopsy slice being evaluated. Path reports of this type are also many times (40%) understated.
I have had consults with 3 surgeons; one in San Diego at the VA hospital, one at UCLA and one at USC.
My options are to either have BCG treatments or a radical cystectomy. (Those of you who know my philosophy on many 'problems' is to ignore said problem; that won't work with this one).
I have decided to have the radical cystectomy at USC. The surgery is expected to take 8 hours. It is an open abdominal surgery in which the bladder, prostate (nerve-sparring) and 50 or so lymph nodes will be removed. A neo-bladder will be constructed using some of my small intestine and the neo-bladder will be connected to my urethra. This is all pending the observations made by the surgical team during the surgery at which time they can get a better idea of the extent of the cancer. I will be in the ICU for 1 or 2 days following the surgery and I am expected to be in the hospital for 10 days. Upon discharge from the hospital, I will have at least 2 tubes exiting my body; a drain and a catheter. These are scheduled to be removed 3 weeks after surgery.
This should get everyone 'up to speed'.


I am including some links if you want further detailed information.
The American Bladder Cancer Society
Bladder Cancer Web Cafe
American Cancer Society

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

My father needs the surgery and has been refered to Kinner at USC or Smith at UCLA which doc would you recommend?

Thank you
Tina from Santa Barbara

Tara Omar said...

Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com . We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hpv,Pile,Weak Erection,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy,Glaucoma.,Brain Tumor,psoriasis, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
Dementia. ,Bladder Cancer,Autism,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Tay tach disease,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, Seizures, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Stroke,Hpv,Weak Erection,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid.

Thomas Deanna said...

Hello everyone, I have been suffering from IC (Interstitial Cystitis) symptoms for 8 months. Never had issues before that, but it came all the sudden and it was HORRIBLE! I was left in absolutely excruciating pain after 4 rounds of antibiotics that I was given to treat the "uti" that I had. I was diagnosed with IC 9 months ago. I've been on the gaps intro diet for a week now. I've been trying to keep my spirits up but I just feel like I'll never feel normal again, because i have being to several hospital for solution but the doctors could not help me, i was discourage and helpless. not until this faithful day, I saw a testimony on how Dr OGBEFUN, helped people in curing Interstitial Cystitis, quickly I copied his Email Dr OGBEFUN, herbal medicine is a good remedy for Interstitial Cystitis, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health he gave me some comforting words with his herbal medicine for curing Interstitial Cystitis within 3weeks of it, i feel my normal body again Thank God now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr OGBEFUN Herbal medicine, I'm very Thankful to Dr, for curing my Interstitial Cystitis..., kindly contact him today and get your problem solved. Email address,email ogbefunhearlingtemple@gmail.com or add him on whatsapp +2348102574680
He cure listed diseases.
CANCER
HIV/AIDS
HPV
EX BACK
HERPES
HEPATITIS A AND B
DIABETICS
PENIS ENLARGEMENTS